Holiday Stories

This time of year is filled with lights and decorations and mad shopping for presents. Cookies and other sweets fill the house with delicious scents, and anticipation builds for the main event of present opening and feasting with family. Holiday stories are also an important part of the season. We’ve all seen the TV shows: Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, and A Charlie Brown Christmas are two of my family’s favorites. But what about books?

There are countless holiday books available for children and adults. What are your favorites? My all-time favorite has to be Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams. I first encountered this book when I was working at a bookstore after graduating from college. I read it and for the first time realized picture books are not just for children.

So look around you at home, in stores, in libraries. What holiday books are part of your life? List them here. If you want to write a short review, I’ll post that on my review page!

In hardback: The Outcasts by John Flanagan (first in the Brotherband Chronicles)

20 thoughts on “Holiday Stories

Add yours

1. Submitted on 2011/12/06 at 8:53 am

I like How the Grinch Stole Christmas too, though there was another book, called How Santa Got His Job, that is really cute. My second grade teacher read it to me a few years ago, and I really liked it. It shows all the different jobs Santa applied for before he chose the job of delivering presents to all the kids of the world. 🙂

2. Submitted on 2011/12/06 at 8:54 am

When I was young, I had a storytime book filled with wonderful stories that touched my heart. Most were about Christmas. For example, one story was about the three little pigs with the wolf acting as Santa Claus. Another was about Courdey(Can’t ever spell his name properly) the bear and how he wrote a letter to Santa about what he and his friends wanted. There were other stories as well such as the Nutcracker. However, now that book is in the hands of my younger cousin.

3. Submitted on 2011/12/06 at 8:55 am

I would recommend A Christmas Carol. The copy I got from Barnes and Nobles looked like a picture book because it was tall, but it’s not. It’s sad that you can’t read it in a comfy couch at Borders anymore 😦 , but the storyline still makes you feel as if you were really there.

4. Submitted on 2011/12/06 at 8:57 am

My favorite holiday book would have to be How the Grinch Stole Christmas. I love the phrases in that story!

5. Submitted on 2011/12/06 at 8:57 am

I was really surprised when you talked about holiday books. Most people never mention books for the holidays, they are to busy talking about movies. I’ve actually only read one holiday book. It was called A Spongebob Christmas. Even though it was a long time ago, like when I was six, I still remember it. I might actually still have it! Other than that, I’m into watching the movies and getting my gifts.

1. Submitted on 2011/12/06 at 9:47 am | In reply to Quentin.

I sort of like movies too. I like books, but not as much as movies. like how the Grinch Stole Christmas. I liked the movie more than the book. I’m more in them.

6. Submitted on 2011/12/06 at 8:57 am

Around Christmas, I would read the Lost Mitten to myself or aloud to my younger siblings. Usually at night, I would sit near the big green Christmas tree in the living room and read the book so I could get a holiday feeling.

7. Submitted on 2011/12/06 at 8:58 am

I love holiday books! Especially the Charlie Brown Christmas one. It is so funny and heart warming. Especially the part were Charlie Brown gets the smallest tree. For Christmas I love going to book stores to get holiday books. One of my favorite books is A Christmas Carol. Every year on Christmas I read that book.

8. Submitted on 2011/12/06 at 8:59 am

My favorite holiday books are The Nutcracker and How the Grinch Stole Christmas. I use to read them all the time when I was little. I love holiday books. There is always a bad person who tries to ruin Christmas for everyone, but in the end they end up learning a lesson and turning good.

9. Submitted on 2011/12/06 at 9:00 am

I usually don’t read holiday books, but on special occasions, I enjoy some books like Rudolph the red nose reindeer. I even used to hear the song all the time on Christmas Day.

10. Submitted on 2011/12/06 at 9:51 am

I don’t really read holiday books, but if I had to choose one, it would be How The Grinch Stole Christmas by Doctor Suess. It is a fun story and has some very cute scenes in it too!

11. Submitted on 2011/12/06 at 9:52 am

my all time FAVORITE BOOK WOULD HAVE TO BE…..probably how the grinch stole christmas!

12. Submitted on 2011/12/06 at 9:53 am

There are so many holiday books to choose from, but I enjoy books like Frosty the Snowman and Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer because those were my favorites from when I was a kid.

13. Submitted on 2011/12/06 at 9:56 am

My favorite book would be The Polar Express because its a very nice book about christmas. Some of my teachers would read us that story and everyone loved it. Even though I’m older now i will still love holiday books.

1. Submitted on 2011/12/06 at 10:23 am | In reply to Tyler.

Like Mrs. Ulleseit just said, that is a very good book. (Not to mention the movie is also AWESOME! 😀 ) I can’t believe I totally forgot about that…

14. Submitted on 2011/12/06 at 10:17 am

When I was in second and third grade I loved a series of books called Mr. Putter and Tabby, by Cynthia Rylant. One of my favorite books of the series when I was reading this series, was Mr. Putter and Tabby Bake a Cake. I know it doesn’t sound like a Christmas book, but it is. The story is about Mr. Putter and Tabby bake a cake (obviously) for their friend for Christmas. It is a heart warming and funny story. If you want to read a good Christmas picture book, you should read this.